Replication & Disaster Recovery
Replication for disaster recovery is utilized by organizations of any size that have a virtualized environment because the impact of not being able to recover successfully and quickly from a disaster can be catastrophic. Different enterprise-class disaster recovery technologies have been available since the mass adoption of virtualization took place, but they were typically designed to protect physical servers using storage based replication and not Virtual Machines (VMs). This adds significant complexity because the replication is configured on a disk/LUN basis requiring matching storage and LUN configurations, there is no VM-level granularity, no integration into the virtualization platform and separate complex software for VM orchestration and automation is required which involves multiple skillsets, people and doesn’t fully align to the benefits of virtualization.
Zerto Virtual Replication is built from the ground-up to be the most simple, yet powerful disaster recovery solution for virtualized infrastructures by including all of the replication, recovery orchestration and automation in one simple software solution allowing users to recover one, all or a subset of virtualized applications from any storage to any storage allowing for full realization of the benefits of virtualization.
By replicating in the hypervisor Zerto Virtual Replication not only allows replication and recovery between any storage, it also includes multiple hypervisors too in both private, hybrid and to public clouds. This market leading technology delivers the best of breed BC/DR solution irrespective of underlying hypervisor or storage.
Zerto Feature Benefits for Disaster Recovery
Whether a virtual environment is based in VMware vSphere or Microsoft Hyper-V, Zerto Virtual Replication delivers enterprise-class disaster recovery between private clouds, from satellite offices or DRaaS to Zerto Cloud Service providers, or to Microsoft Azure or Amazon Web Services, with the same single software solution:
Irrespective of how customers use Zerto Virtual Replication today or in the future; the same features for disaster recovery can be realized:
- Install in minutes with no downtime using scalable software
- Simple to use with hypervisor integration enabling protection of just the needed VMs
- Replicate from any storage to any storage reducing complexity and increasing flexibility
- Replicate in and between VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V private clouds including cross-hypervisor replication
- Replicate for DRaaS to Zerto Cloud Service providers for a managed service and recovery site
- Replicate for DRaaS to Azure and AWS to utilize public cloud as a recovery site
- Recovery Point Objectives (RPOs) of seconds minimizing data loss with no snapshots and no performance impact
- Automated and Orchestrated recovery delivering Recovery Time Objective (RTO) of minutes
- Point in time recovery down to increments to the second with no impact on the Recovery Time Objective
- Consistent multi-VM application recovery to the same point in time
- Boot ordering and automatic Re-IP/MAC addressing to ensure applications recover in a working state
- Automatic Failback configuration with a single checkbox
- No-impact failover testing and migrations of tens to hundreds of VMs simultaneously
- Commit policy to allow the test of a failover before committing to the selected point in time
- Pre and post failover scripting for recovery customization
- Redundant management interfaces, one production and one in DR, allowing recovery in any scenario
The Zerto Virtual Replication solution includes journal based protection delivering recovery points in increments to the second at any point in time up to 30 days in the past. This means that Zerto’s software doesn’t just protect against data center wide issues such as hardware failures, power issues or natural disasters, it also protects against logical failures such as database corruptions, viruses, faulty application upgrades and user errors.
Re-winding entire multi-VM applications to previous points in time is as simple as selecting the checkpoint in the journal, which maintains the write-order fidelity of all of the changes in the protected VM and supports application consistency for any application.
Only Zerto Virtual Replication can deliver enterprise-class disaster recovery for virtualized environments, installable in minutes with no downtime with the simplicity of just a few clicks to orchestrate and automate the entire recovery process in just minutes irrespective of the underlying storage, hypervisor or cloud used for disaster recovery.