Oracle Database Replication, Offsite Backup, & Recovery
Oracle Databases are run in 98% of the Fortune 500 and form the backbone of many critical applications and business operations. Should Oracle Database availability become impacted due to a disaster, human error or logical failure business productivity may be greatly interrupted, data potentially lost, corporate image tarnished and share price potentially devalued. As such, developing a plan to minimize impact of Oracle database downtime with minimal RTO and RPO is important for any organization that leverages this technology.
Challenges of Protecting Oracle Database Servers
The protection of Oracle Database Servers is therefore critical to any organization size and their protection made ever more challenging by large amounts of data change being written on a constant basis inside large databases sometimes terabytes in size. Many different BC/DR technologies can be used to protect Oracle Database Servers, common examples being storage based replication, log shipping or database mirroring software. Each of these different technologies introduces the following risks to the recovery of Oracle Database Servers:
- Multiple solutions require separate skill sets relying on the knowledge of individuals to recover Oracle Database Servers also introducing complexity
- Log shipping and database mirroring software require DBAs to manage and maintain protection in addition being present to manage a disaster recovery plan
- There is no visibility or integration to the virtualized environment running the Oracle Database increasing operational complexity
- Manual recovery operations result in Recovery Time Objectives (RTOs) reliant on the responsiveness and knowledge of individuals
- Testing recovery is complex, time consuming and often requires production downtime making testing ad-hoc and infrequent
- Constant maintenance can be required to maintain protection introducing risk of time windows of no protection and increases the cost of management overheads
When protecting Oracle Database Servers the application utilizing the databases are often overlooked or not included in the same protection technology or recovery plan. This leads to complications in recovery, lack of visibility into the protection status of the entire application stack, such as SAP, and can make disaster recovery testing incomplete as the entire stack is not tested together leading to increased risk in not being able to recover in a timely and efficient manner.
Benefits of protecting Oracle Database Servers using Zerto Virtual Replication
Zerto Virtual Replication resolves all the challenges of protecting Oracle Database servers running in virtualized environments by enabling:
- Simple centralized management of BC/DR from within the hypervisor across all protected VMs using a consistent control interface and one skillset with no DBA knowledge required
- No production changes needed to configure Oracle Database Server protection
- Recovery Point Objectives (RPOs) of seconds with no performance impact
- Application consistent point in time recovery using split-second hot backup mode quiescing
- Journal-based protection maintaining write-order fidelity of all writes to all disks within the Oracle VM including database and redo log files
- VM-level integration, KPIs, reporting and protection status alerts
- Multi-VM consistent application recovery for multi-tier Oracle based applications like SAP
- Recovery Time Objectives (RTOs) of minutes, to previous points in time down to increments every few seconds up to 14 days in the past
- No-impact disaster recovery testing of Oracle Database servers and application servers to fully validate the recovery process in working hours in minutes
- Protect Physical or Virtual Raw Device Mappings (RDMs) to virtual disks or pre-provisioned RDMs in the target site
- Temporary Database initial replication, without subsequent change, saving 50% of replication traffic
- Offsite Backup feature moves backup operations to the DR site, and allows for daily, weekly and monthly archival of backup data.
Some of the largest businesses in the world rely on Zerto to protect their Oracle Database Servers as it simplifies BC/DR while providing the enterprise-class protection and delivers the SLAs required for protecting mission critical business systems like Oracle Database Servers.