Kubernetes | K8S
A-to-Zerto Glossary of Terms
What Is Kubernetes ?
A powerful, open-source platform that assists in managing containerized workloads and applications, Kubernetes (KOO-bur-NEH-teez) or K8S has become the standard for container orchestration. And with the growing popularity and prevalence of microservices architecture running in containers, its use case is only expanding.
How Kubernetes Works
JKubernetes provides a full framework for your organization to manage the lifecycles of your containerized applications. DevOps teams can automate container deployment, prepare failover plans, ensure all applications and groups are operating correctly, and more—all with a scalable approach set to provide full control over the entire environment regardless of size. Whether your containers are stored on premises, in the cloud, or in a hybrid datacenter of any combination, Kubernetes gives you full supervision of your data and resources.
How Protection Differs with Containers
Just like any other data, containers must be backed up, protected, and ready for any disaster that may come, but different foundational aspects complicate these processes. First, there is the issue of the containers and pipelines. Instead of just capturing the container image, it makes more sense to protect the pipeline, the factory responsible for producing the images. This includes configuration scripts and documentation. It’s also important to protect persistent application data and volumes.
Kubernetes options for data protectionand DR are limited. As environments grow more complex and incorporate more containers, organizations need a solution that can align their disaster recovery approach between containerized applications and the rest of their data across different cloud services—and that’s where Zerto comes in.
How Zerto Provides Backup and Disaster Recovery for Kubernetes
Using data protection as code, Zerto is the only vendor to provide a native solution for backup and disaster recovery that’s purpose-built for Kubernetes built upon continuous data protection:
- Continuous Data Protection. Always-on, near-synchronous replication runs in the background, keeping your containerized applications protected without impacting production.
- Easy Management via API. Simple to set up and easy to use, Zerto integrates seamlessly into the existing automation capabilities of Kubernetes clusters.
- Application-Centric Protection. Entire Kubernetes applications and their persistent volumes can be grouped together, allowing you to protect and recover them as one consistent entity, along with all their objects and metadata.
- Deep Analytics. Zerto offers an easy-access, centralized view of your Kubernetes environment along with intelligent dashboards full of robust data on performance, storage, resources, and more.
- Data Protection as Code. Unlokcing efficiency and scale by allowing developers and software engineers to build data protection and disater recovery into their containerized applications so applications are born protected and is not an afterthought.