• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated May 17, 2017 by Ted B.

Specify Resource Pools during VPG creation

• Hi all!

I’m am trying to figure out how to specify a Resource Pools when creating the VPG using the script from the Automating Zerto whitepaper v2.0. All I am able to do is pick the parent cluster, but not anything underneath it.

As an example, the options presented via $VISiteInfoCMD2 from the script (run after a successful VPG setup via the script) only shows the top level options. I do see options in the script for:

""ResourcePoolIdentifier"":null

However, I do not see where I can pull that information from or specify it in the CSV.

Any help pointing me in the right direction would be great.

Thanks!

Ted

Hi Ted,

Have you tried to retrieve the Resource Pool information via the examples on page 21 in the whitepaper?

<code class=”EnlighterJSRAW” data-enlighter-language=”shell”>Getting resource pool info
    $VIResourcePoolsURL = $baseURL+”virtualizationsites/$VPGRecoverySiteIdentifier/resourcepools”
    $VIResourcePoolsCMD = Invoke-RestMethod -Uri $VIResourcePoolsURL -TimeoutSec 100 -Headers $zertoSessionHeader -ContentType $TypeJSON

Here is some additional information from page 22 (under “Getting recovery info”):

<code class=”EnlighterJSRAW” data-enlighter-language=”shell”>$VPGResourcePoolIdentifier = $VPGSettings.Recovery.ResourcePoolIdentifier

and

<code class=”EnlighterJSRAW” data-enlighter-language=”shell”># Getting resource pool name
    $VPGResourcePoolName = $VIResourcePoolsCMD | Where-Object {$_.ResourcePoolIdentifier -eq $VPGResourcePoolIdentifier} | select -ExpandProperty ResourcepoolName

and from page 23 to use the property when adding:

<code class=”EnlighterJSRAW” data-enlighter-language=”shell”>$VPGArrayLine | Add-Member -MemberType NoteProperty -Name “VPGDefaultHostIdentifier” -Value $VPGDefaultHostIdentifier
    $VPGArrayLine | Add-Member -MemberType NoteProperty -Name “VPGResourcePoolName” -Value $VPGResourcePoolName
    $VPGArrayLine | Add-Member -MemberType NoteProperty -Name “VPGResourcePoolIdentifier” -Value $VPGResourcePoolIdentifier

So, I believe you can continue on with that section to come up with what you’re trying to accomplish. I don’t see those xls samples showing Resource Pools (in the “VPG, VM, VDISK, VNIC & Re-IP Settings Report), but if you can query them and export, you can use those names when creating a VPG (assuming since I haven’t personally tested).

Hopefully this gets your going in the right direction.

~Harry

Follow me: www.twitter.com/HarrySiii

That’s exactly what I needed!

I hadn’t run that Settings Report (on Page 19) before. That’s exactly what I was looking for. I was kinda expecting it to a property of the ClusterIdentifier; however when it wasn’t there, I wasn’t sure where to go.

In case anyone wants to do the same:

Under the section <span style=”color: #339966;”># Running the creation process by VPG, as a VPG can contain multiple VMs</span>, in the foreach loop I added:

$ResourcePool =$VPG.ResourcePool

Under the section <span style=”color: #339966;”># Getting Identifiers for VPG settings</span>, I added:

$VISiteInfoURL5 = $BaseURL+"virtualizationsites/$TargetSiteIdentifier/resourcepools"
    $VISiteInfoCMD5 = Invoke-RestMethod -Uri $VISiteInfoURL5 -TimeoutSec 100 -Headers $zertosessionHeader -ContentType $ContentType
    $ResourcePoolIdentifier = $VISiteInfoCMD5 | Where-Object {$_.ResourcepoolName -eq $ResourcePool} | select ResourcePoolIdentifier -ExpandProperty ResourcePoolIdentifier

Under the section <span style=”color: #339966;”># Building JSON Request for posting VPG settings to API</span>, I removed the null in ResourcePoolIdentifier and added the $ResourcePoolIdentifier variable to look like this:

""ResourcePoolIdentifier"":""$ResourcePoolIdentifier""

You will also need a ResourcePool column added to the VPGs CSV to pull that info from.

Thanks for your help, Harry!

Ted

You must be logged in to create new topics. Click here to login