• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated April 1, 2020 by Gene T.

Dual NICs ZVM Setup

• Hello, I’m currently deploying Zerto infrastructure for a Client migration from Site A to Site B, the Client has decided to have a dedicated Replication Link (P2P) which is not interfering with production. I’m Using Dual NICs in the ZVM for the Production site, I connected the production network to one NIC and Migration network to second NIC, so far I could Pair the ZVMs successfully (after I added a static route to connect the migration vlan to the protected site), however it is not clear to me If VRAs in  the production site should have IPs within the same Migration Vlan or the Production vlan, could someone please clarify?

I found this Link but I’s not clear to me:

Separating Management and Replication Networks Using Dual NICs ZVM Setup

Hi Leo,

I saw you’ve also commented on a post on my blog of the same topic using Dual-NIC ZVMs, but I see the question is a bit different here but I’ll do my best to answer it.  Please reply back if additional clarification is needed, or if I misunderstood your question.

Q: Should the VRA network interface reside on the production network, or specific VLAN that is only for them to leverage that P2P link for replication?

Since you have that second NIC to manage inter-site communication to avoid using the production link, I feel putting the VRA network interfaces on the same VLAN as that second NIC that you’ve assigned to the ZVM would be one option.  If you’ve already got the routing setup to use the dedicated link, the lift would be very little if any to allow the VRAs to communicate across sites as well as to their respective ZVMs.

That said, if you wanted to have a specific VLAN in each site for VRAs only, you can also do that, however, you’ll need to make sure that they can communicate across the replication link to each and every VRA in their peer site, as well as communicate locally to their ZVM, so some firewall rules may be required if that is how you’re set up.

You can find the current port requirements in our vSphere (or Hyper-V) Enterprise Guideline documents https://www.zerto.com/myzerto/technical-documentation/

You must be logged in to create new topics. Click here to login