Copying BIOS UUID

• So I ran into the issue that when we replicate our main applications it breaks licensing for those applications when you perform a failover test and access the applications in the testing environment. When you boot the VM and start the application it checks for some piece of hardware ID that is assigned to the VM and sees that it has changed and won’t start.

The vendor worked with us and made it easier to generate a new license by directly accessing their licensing server via an api and generating a new license via a PowerShell script when we perform a test. The issue is we store the credentials for the api in a secure file that is tied to the computer/user account and it also fails to work when you perform a test since the secure file is set to only run on that VM it was generated on and not the VM that is generated for the test.

I am sure I am not the only one who has run into this and am interested in knowing if there is a workaround to make the VM hardware that is built in the test environment to look identical to the original.

I see an option in site setting under policies that allows you to copy the BIOS UUID of the protected VM to the recovered VM. Just not sure if this is what I am looking for and if so is there a downside to enabling this feature?

You must be logged in to create new topics. Click here to login