• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated August 21, 2019 by Matthew C.

ZVM Migration from Server 2008 R2 to Server 2016

• Hello All,

We are currently running Zerto v6.5 U3 on Server 2008 R2 machines, managing replication between two VMware v6.5 datacenters.

What I would like to know is what would be the migration path (and any gotchas) to move our ZVMs to new Server 2016 machines.  I’ll hit up support as well, but wondered if anyone has done that here?

There is no graceful migration. What you have to do is export your configuration, tear down your existing server, spin up your new install, import the config, and go from there. You’ll lose protection during the time, as well as all journals. You also need to redeploy all the VRA appliances. You’re essentially spinning up a new Zerto install, only you don’t have to create the VPG’s from scratch.

This is the exact reason I haven’t upgraded my ZVM.

There is a feature request you can see here: https://idea.zerto.com/ideas/ZRVCORE-I-331

It only has 5 votes so I’m unsure if it will happen. There is a “planned” comment in there but I’m not sure what that means.

You must be logged in to create new topics. Click here to login