• This topic has 14 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated May 6, 2020 by Sagar K.

Zerto Orchestrator Setup help

• I downloaded the Zerto Orchestrator (Jenkins) and have manage to get it setup to the point where it logs into both vCenter and ZVM successfully.  However when I configure it to actually run a VPG failover test, it always fails.  I can see in ZVM that it does kick off the failover test, but stops at the point where  in ZVM it asks you to confirm whether the test is successful and you need to click the “stop” button.

Has anyone gotten the Orchestrator to run successfully?  Any tips on how finishing configuring this?

Running Zerto 5.5 update 2 patch 2

I just downloaded Orchestrator from the Zerto site about 2 days ago, Jenkins ver. 1.599.

Hi Michael,

I am asking about this internally to see if anyone has encountered this.

Have you opened a ticket with support regarding this yet?

I haven’t opened a ticket yet, if I don’t get any clues here I’ll open a ticket after the holidays.

I just got orchestrator installed and have the exact same issue.

Hey all, just wondering if any of you found a fix for this. I’m getting the same issue – Orchestrator kicks off the failover test and the failed over VMs fire up fine, but it doesn’t end the task.

I  noticed in the Jenkins console output, the script grabs the task ID but then gets back a 404 when trying to make an API call with it:
    task id = 68aee570-9616-4bd2-acc6-e0e6d7d9cffc.5e548bae-c68d-4639-9525-8b342143d89f

File "/zerto/ZvmUtils.py", line 133, in IsTaskComplete
    raise Exception("Failed getting tasks")

Exception: Failed getting tasks

Unfortunately that’s about as far as I can follow it.

Forgot to mention – in my case, I actually DO have some VPGs that run the failover test just fine. This is a new VPG and I can’t get the Orchestrator to properly run the failover test, even though I copied the task from one of the other existing tasks that is working.

Thanks!

Hi, same issue here 🙂 . Sometimes it works sometimes it just fails over fine, then does not end the test. “Exception: Failed getting tasks”. Could this be some kind of timeout issue?. Im going to increase the Operation Timeout to something silly to see if it helps.

I’ve had a long case going with Zerto Support on this… they ended up being able to replicate the bug and released a new .ova for Zerto Orchestrator 8.3 with the fix. I’m installing it now, will report back!

Im about to do the same, is there any way of migrating your old config into the new appliance?.

I just rebuilt mine and re-added the VPG’s i created. I can confirm this now works for me, the FOT starts and then sucessfully deletes automatically.

There’s no official way to migrate config/jobs from the old instance to the new one… Zerto Support says they’ll work on that for a future version. The Support agent who’s been helping me did find this script (https://gist.github.com/mriddle/4043487#file-jenkins_copying_configuration-sh-L22) which needed a few tweaks. I did get my jobs/config moved over to the new instance and it LOOKED like everything was right, but none of the jobs would run (zero output… no success, no error, no nothing).

In the end, I ended up rebuilding from scratch.

After the rebuild, I can confirm that my FOTs are all running successfully.

Thanks for the update Greg, this has been driving me mad for a couple of months.  Installing 8.3 solved the problem.

Good day folks….are you folks who were messing with this 11/2018 still running the Orchestrator ….or just went and kicked it to the curb ?

certainly this little OVA/VM/app SEEMS like it’d do that which is a ‘manual process’ and i’d love the automation part

but….is it just way too much of a ‘sorta unsupported ‘ PITB that i shouldn’t even bother ?

vcenter 6.5 , 2 ESXi clusters in two locations….doing zerto to offsite location….circa 40+ VMs

Hey Edwick,

We are still using Zerto Orchestrator to do our automated monthly testing…. with 70+ VPGs containing 250+ VMs and growing, across multiple vCenters/Zerto Orgs, manual monthly testing would be a nightmare.

ZO works pretty well… I’ve just resigned myself to the fact that I’ll have to do my own package updates (Python, etc.) on the ZO VM once in a while.

Greg

Hi Greg,

I  am exploring the  the Zerto orchestrator for the test environment.

I am able configure the Vcenter and ZVM connection successfully.

However issue occured while running the “failover test”, it is always failed the build.

See below error message :

Started by user anonymous
    Building in workspace /var/lib/jenkins/jobs/Failover test/workspace
    [workspace] $ /bin/sh -xe /tmp/jenkins4364621475727640396.sh
    + /zerto/failover_test_vpg.py
    Usage: failover_test_vpg <vpgName> [wait for vm tools true/false]
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/zerto/failover_test_vpg.py", line 25, in <module>
        raise Exception("Incorrect usage")
    Exception: Incorrect usage
    Build step 'Execute shell' marked build as failure
    [PostBuildScript] - Executing post build scripts.
    [PostBuildScript] - Executing the script /zerto/send_analytics_info.py with parameters [FOTDemoVPG, $BUILD_RESULT, $ORGANIZATION_NAME].
    [workspace] $ /usr/bin/python /tmp/jenkins2499570512748713729.sh FOTDemoVPG $BUILD_RESULT $ORGANIZATION_NAME
    Number of arguments: 4
    Argument List: ['/tmp/jenkins2499570512748713729.sh', 'FOTDemoVPG', 'FAILURE', '$ORGANIZATION_NAME']
    Error occured while sending data to google analytics: <class 'requests.exceptions.ConnectionError'>
    Finished: FAILURE
You must be logged in to create new topics. Click here to login