• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated July 31, 2017 by Adam S.

When/why to move to external SQL database?

• Hello,

We have a fairly large VMware infra with 5 vcenters and 5 ZVM’s all linked together running v5 update 1 all running embedded db’s.  Our vCenters (5.5 and 6.0) manage 50 to 100 ESXi hosts and 1000 to 2000 VM’s. We currently have 300 VM’s protected by Zerto moving up to 500 in the next few months.

Our main two protected vCenter ZVM’s have embedded DB sizes in the range of 64Meg (zvm.sdf) and we seem to have pretty good UI performance.

I’m curious as to any indications as to when the embedded database causes problems and should I be planning to move them to external SQL at some point. I’d rather keep them as one self contained entity if possible.

On a side note, has anyone found a reliable way to cover the ZVM’s for DR?

Thanks,

Ron

Hi Ron,

I would say you’re pretty much at the point where a external DB would be warranted. Is your environment recently deployed? The DB will likely grow over time. The embedded DB has a size limit of 4GB and when you begin to fill that up (>60%) you may see performance degradation.

You can find official guidance in the document “Sizing – Zerto Virtual Replication” located under (MyZerto -> Technical Documentation).

Let me know if you have any added questions.

Thanks!

Hi Everyone, I'm the new(ish) chief evangelist for Zerto. I'll be the first to admit that I have an addiction to startups with cool technology and I love my current day job :-). Seriously, if there was an AA equivalent for startups, I'd be finding myself at those meetings rather quickly! My background is all technical in nature. In past lives I've been a senior VMware instructor, VMware design consultant, cloud architect, NetApp engineer, etc, etc. Most recently I came from SimpliVity where I was a director in the Office of the CTO. I've got a slew of fancy letters behind my name from various certs (really good test taker here). If there is anything I can do to enhance or otherwise help make your Zerto journey as amazing as possible please don't hesitate to ask! As much as I am an evangelist from Zerto to the world and amazing customers, I am also an evangelist for those same people back to the internal folks we have here at Zerto. Anything I can do to help please let me know. Enjoy the Journey My Friends. :-) --Sekora "Know the rules well, so that you may break them effectively." Dalai Llama XIV
You must be logged in to create new topics. Click here to login