This topic contains 15 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Peter U September 29, 2017.

VSS Agent and Server 2016

• Is the ZertoVSSAgent supported when using Windows server 2016?

The documentation only mentions 2008 and 2012 has this not been updated or is 2016 not supported?

Harry Smith

Hi Graham,

I don’t believe 2016 guests are supported just yet, but I’ll check it out and get back to you in case is has recently been updated and I missed it.

Thanks,

Harry

Technology Evangelist at Zerto. Follow me: www.twitter.com/HarrySiii
    Harry Smith

Hi Graham,

I was able to receive confirmation that we do not currently support the VSS agent for Windows Server 2016.

I’ll try to update here once support becomes available. Do you have any usage information for this use case? How many 2016 VMs would you want to use VSS with (vs how many without)? Are these single-application VMs, meaning they don’t need point-in-time consistent checkpoints across multiple VMs for consistent recovery? How many VSS checkpoints do you try to create per VM, per day? Any additional information is very helpful to assist us with our road map priorities and inclusions.

Thanks!

Harry

You really don’t support Server 2016 yet?!  This is an enterprise solution, correct?

Harry Smith

Hey Marc,

I want to clear up the confusion from the above posts. ZVR doesn’t currently support the VSS agent for Windows Server 2016 guests yet. Guest virtual machines supported by the hypervisor platforms are supported for use with ZVR, which includes Windows Server 2016. Windows Server 2016 is also supported as an installation platform for Zerto Virtual Manager (ZVM).

Hope this helps clear up any confusion or doubt!

Thanks,

Harry

@HarrySiii

Tagged: 

OK.  I was just reviewing the documentation and it doesn’t show support for Server 2016 or SCVMM 2016 in the support matrix.

You must be logged in to create new topics. Click here to login