• This topic has 5 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated February 8, 2017 by Harry S.

VRA Replication traffic using ESXi Mgt Int

• Greetings,

We recently purchased Zerto licensing to support a data center migration project and eventually building a new DR.

In planning our Zerto install we have a particularly sensitive and network constrained DMZ cluster (that is part of a vCenter 5.5 with other ESXi 5.5 clusters). The DMZ cluster has guest networking and ESXi management networking as any cluster has. The guest networking would have to traverse bandwidth limited firewalls out to MPLS to the new Data center.  ESXi mgt networking is routed internally back to our core and would reach the new Data Center via less bandwidth restricted networking.

In order to accomplish this routing would it be as simple as addressing VRA’s with IP’s on the same VLAN as the ESXi Mgt networking?

Thanks for any insight

Ron

Hi Ron,

Thanks for your question. Are you saying you’d want replication to go over the management network as well, or over the Guest network, or would you have an additional replication network not mentioned here? You just need to ensure the VRAs are on the same network as the ZVMs.

To answer your question though, yes, you could configure the VRAs on the management network as long as that gives them access to the remote site VRAs (and the ZVMs) as well.

Let me know if I misunderstood or you need additional clarification.

~harry

Follow me: www.twitter.com/HarrySiii

Harry,

By same network you mean layer 3 routed to ZVM as a minimum correct? They wouldn’t be on the same L2 network. For my clarification, does the ZVM play are role in how replication traffic is routed from source to destination?

Thanks for your reply

Ron

Hi Ron,

That is correct. They need to communicate to ZVM, but not replicate through them.

~harry

Harry,

Can you point me to the right documentation that will assist me with this.

I currently have zerto in place and would like the replication to take place on a dedicated MPLS line.

Sorry for the delay; didn’t mean to miss this post! I’ll look through the documentation and point you in the right direction.

~Harry

You must be logged in to create new topics. Click here to login