• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated August 20, 2018 by Ron F.

VPG Temp disk setting and datastore allocation?

• We have a VM with over 10T of allocated storage. We do not need the data on two of the large disks in DR. Even with setting the disks to THIN and TEMP I cannot save the VPG because it wants a datastore over 10T in size. Why would it not accept thin provisioning and over allocate the datastore?

Zerto 5.5U2

vSphere 6.0 > 6.5

Ron

At Zerto one of our mantras is “don’t let the end-user hurt themselves”. Thick or thin that vmdk can still become full and we aren’t in the business of storage management just yet. We’ve been adding bits and pieces of storage management capabilities over time. Eventually, we may be able to fully manage things, but that nirvana-like end-state isn’t available yet so we’re sticking with the mantra.

That all said, there might be a way to bypass those protections, and I recommend that you connect with your local SE about this if you haven’t already.

At Zerto one of our mantras is “don’t let the end-user hurt themselves”. Thick or thin that vmdk can still become full and we aren’t in the business of storage management just yet. We’ve been adding bits and pieces of storage management capabilities over time. Eventually, we may be able to fully manage things, but that nirvana-like end-state isn’t available yet so we’re sticking with the mantra.

That all said, there might be a way to bypass those protections, and I recommend that you connect with your local SE about this if you haven’t already.

Thanks Sean, I just put those two giant disks on an NFS mount and all is good.

You must be logged in to create new topics. Click here to login