• This topic has 9 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated February 28, 2018 by Russell K.

VM startup delay between VPGs

• Hi, I know that if a VPG contains multiple VMs, you can set a startup order. I have 11 VPGs each containing a single VM. Can I failover these VPGs in a particular order?

When using the GUI, I do not believe there is a way to do that (disclaimer: I’m running 3.5u7 not the newly released v4). However if you script your VPG failovers using the Zerto cmdlts, I don’t see why you couldn’t have logic to do what you’re trying to do, but I’ve never tried it myself.

Hey,

Right now there are 2 ways to do this. They are:

1. Use a script like my example here:
      https://virtuallysober.wordpress.com/2014/04/16/integrating-a-scripted-recovery-plan-into-the-zerto-gui-part-1/
    2. Create a boot delay on the first boot folder on each VPG so that you can select to failover all at once and each will start the VMs after the set time delay.

We plan to further address this use case in the GUI with a recovery plan feature in the future. Any further questions let me know. Thanks,

Joshua

Hi Joshua, I tried creating the boot delay on the default folder on each VPG. The first VPG had zero seconds delay, the 2nd VPG had a 30 second delay. I failed them both over at once, but they both powered on at the same time.

Hey George, which version of Zerto are you running?

Hi Joshua, it’s version 3.5 Update 7.

I’m running 4.0 in my lab so I can’t test this right now but leave it with me and I’ll come back to you.

Thankyou, much appreciated.

Regards,

George.

Any update to this topic given newer releases?  We’ve just started using Zerto, with v4.5.  We also want to sequence the startup of VPGs.

Any update to this topic given newer releases?  Zerto  v6 is out.  We also would like sequence VPG startup.

You must be logged in to create new topics. Click here to login