• This topic has 2 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated May 29, 2018 by Kelvin S.

Using Zerto to migrate VMs from ESX 5.5 to 6.5\6.7

• I have an existing Zerto environment on vSphere 5.5U3 and I want to migrate the VMs to another environment on 6.5 or 6.7. It seems that the replication should continue to work between the 5.5 and 6.5\6.7 hosts. Anything I need to look out for

Thanks,

Miguel

Hi Miguel,

Generically, there is no issue with what you want to do. One of the great features of Zerto is you don’t need the same hardware or hypervisor at both locations. Be advised, Zerto doesn’t officially support 6.7 so you’ll either have to wait for that support to come, or move to 6.5 now, and upgrade later.

If you’re deploying a new vCenter, you’ll have to tie that into Zerto with another ZVM. If your new 6.x servers are going to be managed by the existing vCenter (assuming you’ve upgraded vCenter prior), then you won’t need a new ZVM.

If you’re moving to new hardware, you’ll probably need to reboot your VM’s after the failover, as they’ll detect the new hardware and will want to reboot. You might have to reactivate Windows, although when that’s been hit or miss with me.

Zerto is actually a really great tool to perform datacenter migrations, or even local migrations to new hardware.

In previous versions of Zerto, I did run into one issue with VM Hardware version.  If the source site has a VM with a newer VM Hardware version than what your DR site can support, you won’t be able to replicate that VM.

Can someone on the Zerto side confirm if this is still an issue?

You must be logged in to create new topics. Click here to login