Upgrading Zerto to 7.0u2

• Hello,

We are getting ready to upgrade our current environment from Version 6.5 u3 to 7.0 u2 and this is the first upgrade we have performed since deployment and I have a couple of question regarding the upgrade documentation.

1) In the document it says: “During an upgrade from v6.5 to v7.0, Repositories that were created in 6.5 and all the retentions sets
    they contain, will be available for Restores only.”

I am assuming this is only if you are using the Retention Policy for Offsite backup storage.  This does not affect the VPG’s and their normal DR capibilities and failover protection?

2) In the the documentation it says: “Make sure that all VPGs are in the state Protecting, and not in a sync state, such as Delta Sync, or in an
    error state, such as Needs Configuration.”

I do not see where it says State Protecting.  Does this equate to Protection Status Meeting SLA?

3) Should I evacuate the VM’s from the VRA’s before we upgrade them?

4) Should we upgrade the Recovery site or the Primary site first?

Thanks,

Ron N.

Hello,

Regarding your questions:

1) In the document it says: “During an upgrade from v6.5 to v7.0, Repositories that were created in 6.5 and all the retentions sets
    they contain, will be available for Restores only.”

I am assuming this is only if you are using the Retention Policy for Offsite backup storage.  This does not affect the VPG’s and their normal DR capibilities and failover protection?

-You are right. It doesn’t affect the VPGs and their normal DR capibilities and failover protection. It’s only relevant to the long term retention feature.

2) In the the documentation it says: “Make sure that all VPGs are in the state Protecting, and not in a sync state, such as Delta Sync, or in an
    error state, such as Needs Configuration.”

I do not see where it says State Protecting.  Does this equate to Protection Status Meeting SLA?

-Yes. Meeting SLA means that the VPG is being protected(replication is in progress). Protecting is not literally a state which you would see in the VPG description.

3) Should I evacuate the VM’s from the VRA’s before we upgrade them?

-It’s not necessary because upgrading VRA won’t take long and it will result in a small bitmap sync. For the recovery VRAs, if you evacuate the VMs by changing recovery VRA for the VMs, it will also result in bitmap sync, so I don’t see the necessarity to evacuate the VMs.

4) Should we upgrade the Recovery site or the Primary site first?

-It doesn’t matter which site you upgrade first. Either way works.

Thanks, one last question.

Is the Upgrade from Zerto 6.5 U3 to 7.0 U2 supported for VMware ESXi, 6.5.0, 4564106?  Looking at the Matrix it looks like it is, however I have read some conflicting post on the forum were people have had issues.

Thanks,

Ron N.

Yes 7.0 u2 supports VMware ESXi 6.5.0, 4564106. I’m not sure which issue you’re referring to but the previous version 7.0 & 7.0u1 didn’t support VMware ESXi 6.5 u3 which could cause some compatibility issues.

Perfect, that was one of the posts I was reading.  Just wanted to make sure.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Ron N

Hello,

Should we take a snapshot of the VRA’s prior to the upgrade as well, or just the VM’s where the Virtual Manager is installed?

Thanks,

Ron N

You must be logged in to create new topics. Click here to login