• This topic has 3 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated April 7, 2020 by Guy A.

upgrade zerto from 6.5 U4 to 8.0

• Hi, We are thinking to upgrade Zerto from 6.5 U4 to Zerto8.0. In order to do, please let us know the recommendation in terms of Zerto functionality.

1. VMware upgrade.
    I am using vmware 6.5. As far as I see Zerto compatibility matrix, Zerto 8.0 is okay with vmware 6.5. But do you think vmware 6.7 is recommeded in terms of security fix or performance enhancement or other benefit from the Zerto perspective?

2. upgrade order
    if you think vmware6.7 is recommended with Zerto 8.0, what order we should follow?
    vmware upgrade 6.5 to 6.7 first and then zerto upgrade? or vice versa?

3.upgrade order, desitnation site or source site.
    In term of replication, We have two source sites and each of the sites is in different places. and we have one destination site.
    Given this condition, which site of zerto should upgrade first?

Hello,

From Zerto Support.

1. VMware upgrade.

I am using vmware 6.5. As far as I see Zerto compatibility matrix, Zerto 8.0 is okay with vmware 6.5. But do you think vmware 6.7 is recommeded in terms of security fix or performance enhancement or other benefit from the Zerto perspective?

Upgrade to Zerto 8.0 and then you can upgrade vCenter and ESXi host to 6.7. You might want to check VMware release notes for 6.7 benefits.

2. upgrade order
    if you think vmware6.7 is recommended with Zerto 8.0, what order we should follow?
    vmware upgrade 6.5 to 6.7 first and then zerto upgrade? or vice versa?

Upgrade Zerto 8.0 first and then you can upgrade vCenter and ESXi host to 6.7.

3.upgrade order, desitnation site or source site.
    In term of replication, We have two source sites and each of the sites is in different places. and we have one destination site.
    Given this condition, which site of zerto should upgrade first?

It shouldn’t be a matter. I always do the Protected side first and then the Recovery side second.

Please check the “Use these Best Practices to upgrade your Zerto version”

http://s3.amazonaws.com/zertodownload_docs/Latest/Upgrading%20Zerto%20Virtual%20Replication.pdf?cb=1586195848

Note: Before you do a Zerto software upgrade, please make stop Zerto Manager Service and then do the ZVM VM snapshot.

Thank you.

Contara

Thank you for your answer.

I understood #2 and #3.

Regarding #1 reply, Yes, I am looking into vmware benefit in parallel. Therefore, I would like to know Zerto benefit with vmware 6.7.

I am guessing that Zerto 8.0 with vmware6.7 could be more stable or higher performance than it with vmware6.5 if Zerto8.0 is using vmware6.7 function which is not existing in vmware6.5.

Also, there may be the case that Zerto8.0 with vmware6.7 is still in bug fix period. So I would like to know the recommendation from Zerto8.0 perspective at this time.

Hi Taiki,

I’d like to assure you, that any combination of ZVR/vCenter that is compatible according to Zerto’s Interoperability Matrix, has already been thoroughly tested by our QA department.

Moreover, since ZVR 8.0 is compatible with both vCenter 6.5 and 6.7, according to the Interoperability Matrix from above, the question of whether or not to upgrade vCenter is entirely up to you.

Best,

Guy

You must be logged in to create new topics. Click here to login