• This topic has 4 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated June 13, 2018 by Brian L.

Rolling upgrade of ESXi on Nutanix

• We running VMware 6.0 on a Nutanix cluster and gong to perform an upgrade to 6.5.  It will be our first ESXi upgrade on the Nutanix platform with Zerto running on it.  Nutanix has the “one click upgrade” option, where it does a rolling upgrade of all the hosts in the cluster and does the necessary steps to properly shutdown and startup each of its Controller VMs, etc.  Just wanted to know if anyone has done a rolling “one click upgrade” on Nutanix while running Zerto and if they had any issues with the VRAs not shutting down, etc., or if there are any other considerations to take into account.

Hi Brian,

Are you just upgrading the source environment or the target(s) too?

It’s worth looking over the following which covers how we handle maintenance mode:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/zertodownload_docs/Latest/Zerto%20Virtual%20Replication%20Zerto%20Virtual%20Manager%20%28ZVM%29%20-%20vSphere%20Online%20Help/index.html#page/AdministratorforZertoVirtualManager/ManageVRA_VC.10.09.html

Thanks,

Steve

In this case it is just the source.  I think there is really no way to get around it without a delta sync happening, which if we had sufficient resources would not be much of an issue, but with our limited size on the target side this process takes a very long time to complete.  We are looking at doing a hardware refresh at that site though with sufficient resources so in the future this won’t matter much hopefully.

Hi Brian,

If you use Nutanix to update just one host (or a number of hosts depending on capacity) at a time then this can be managed without a delta sync. Once all VMs are moved to another host (excluding the VRA) the VRA can be powered off and the host can then enter maintenance mode. There would be no need for a delta sync in this scenario as I say.

Thanks,

Steve

Tagged: 

That’s what we ended up doing.  A lot more clicking that way is the only downside.  I was hoping to use the one click upgrade to upgrade the entire cluster through the Nutanix console.  Once we refresh our hardware at the DR site I will probably use the one click option and just let it do the delta syncs as they won’t take nearly as long then.

You must be logged in to create new topics. Click here to login