• This topic has 3 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated March 31, 2022 by Andrew C.

Powered off VMs?

• We keep receiving alerts for powered off VMs that they are not meeting SLA and the actual RPO groes over time with them even though there is no data being generated by the VMs

Is there any way to stop this behavour without pausing the VPG?

Hi Craig – this should only occur during a sync. In other words, Zerto requires a VM to be powered on in order to complete a sync.

Having said that, once a VM is syncd it is OK to power the VM off. I would keep in mind that just because the VM has powered off (or has stopped), time does not stop. So for example, if a VM that is syncd is powered off and remains powered off for 1 hour, then the last 1 hour of checkpoints (when the VM was powered off) will be the same since no changes occurred to the protected disks (since it was powered off).  — Justin

Hi Craig – this should only occur during a sync. In other words, Zerto requires a VM to be powered on in order to complete a sync.

Having said that, once a VM is syncd it is OK to power the VM off. I would keep in mind that just because the VM has powered off (or has stopped), time does not stop. So for example, if a VM that is syncd is powered off and remains powered off for 1 hour, then the last 1 hour of checkpoints (when the VM was powered off) will be the same since no changes occurred to the protected disks (since it was powered off).  — Justin

As far as I can tell it is not OK to turn off VMs.  It is also not OK to make changes to VMs (i.e. add disks) while they are turned off.

If you turn off 1 VM it stops the replication for all VMs in the VPG as it likes to treat them as a group.  To make things worse, if the VM stays off for a day or two the VPG normally breaks.  If you make changes to a VM while it is down it also breaks the VPG.

Put simply, don’t leave VMs turned off.

You must be logged in to create new topics. Click here to login