• This topic has 2 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated August 21, 2019 by JoshAto A.

Long term retention – recovery

• I recently learned that it is not possible to reconnect to an existing repository for LTR in the event of a DR event that destroys both ZVMs.  So if for some reason your current Zerto config is lost, you lose the ability to access and restore the entire LTR library?  Potentially years of backups?  That gives me pause in using the system at all.  What is the LTR repository/library dependent on to allow/disallow it to be available for restores?

Realistically, there’s very little chance I would lose both sites which are in fact geographically split.  I replicate most of our VMs from site A to B but do have two production VMs going from site B to A.  If I lose the ZVM entirely in site A, will I be able to connect the repo of the lost ZVM to Site B to restore files or VMs?  What if I need to rebuild a ZVM because of an retiring OS?  I would build the new server, new OS and import the ZVM config from the old and proceed to seed the existing vmdks.  Does this config include the repository info or will this result in having to start the LTR history over?  Would it be possible to restore the ZVM (from another backup system) to recover the config and reconnect to the repository?

Hi Seth,

An LTR repository can be attached to another ZVM, however in version 7.0 a tweak is required which support can provide if you do end up having a requirement for it. We aim to remove the need for a tweak in a future release in the not too distant future.

Thanks,

Steve

Tagged: 

Would it be possible to restore the ZVM (from another backup system) to recover the config and reconnect to the repository?

You must be logged in to create new topics. Click here to login