• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated March 27, 2019 by Brad F.

Failover Servers With Multiple IP Addresses

• A few weeks back we tested the replication on a few web servers by failing the servers over to our DR site. Once the servers were online we brought them back. After the test was complete, I noticed that our websites were down. We discovered that within the Advanced TCP/IP settings on the NIC  multiple IP addresses are assigned and the failover with Zerto cleared them out. Of course, in the event of a disaster, I hope it wouldn’t be necessary to manually add these additional IPs back to the NIC. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to handle this? Thank you in advance!

Hello we have the same issue.  We would really like a solution if Zerto has one?

Hello – Currently, the Zerto software only re-IPs the primary address of each individual vNIC out of the box. Once this is completed by the system, a user could change the other addresses on the same vNIC via a script, for example via vmware tools and powercli such as the invoke-vm script cmdlet (https://www.vmware.com/support/developer/windowstoolkit/wintk40u1/html/Invoke-VMScript.html) or set-vmguestnetworkinterface (though this one may also only deal with the primary IP – I am unsure, but the documentation alludes to it: https://www.vmware.com/support/developer/windowstoolkit/wintk40u1/html/Set-VMGuestNetworkInterface.html)

There is an existing feature request, ZRVCORE-I-147, titled, “Ability to configure multiple IP Addresses on a single interface” if you would like to add your feedback to that feature request.

Best,

— Justin

In case this helps Jeff or anyone else, until the feature request is implemented my solution is to create a batch file on the root of the C drive that I know I will need to run manually in the event of a failover. It’s not ideal, but we only have a couple of web servers to do this with.

It looks like this. Just replace “Insertwebsitenamehere” if you want to keep track of which IPs go with which website and then insert your IP addresses and subnets. If your network card isn’t named “Local Area Connection” then you’ll need to change that as well.

REM Insertwebsitenamehere
    netsh int ipv4 add address “Local Area Connection” 10.x.x.x 255.255.255.0

You must be logged in to create new topics. Click here to login