• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated June 22, 2017 by Adam S.

Failover Clarification

• Since approval to try this in our environment is not worth asking for …
    What happens in this scenario?
      Site1 legitimately goes down. Site1 is unusable for several days, but hardware is all in tact. Site2 brings up servers using Failover, sets to reverse protect, and commits the action.
      Once Site1 becomes usable again and vCenter comes up:
    1. Wouldn’t the same vm boot up when the host comes (assuming this configuration) and cause two “identical” vm’s to be on at the same time?
    2. When is the vm removed from the Site1 vCenter?
    3. How does the recovery site handle the reverse replication:
             while Site1 is still down? Accumulating changes?
             once Site1 comes up – Does syncing start automatically?
    Essentially I’m asking what is the intended procedure for returning to normal operation after a mult-day failover event
    1. Wouldn’t the same vm boot up when the host comes (assuming this configuration) and cause two “identical” vm’s to be on at the same time?
      1. You hit the keywords here: Depends on how it is configured. If it is configured to come up, then that is exactly what it would do.
    2. When is the vm removed from the Site1 vCenter?
      1. It is not.
    3. How does the recovery site handle the reverse replication:
      1. Delta sync will occur once the original site is returned. Once the replica is confirmed up to date (Delta sync completed) we will switch to continuously replicating using the traditional approach.
      2. Yes, I’m fairy positive it does so long as you have configured reverse protection ahead of time. But I will double check.

The intended procedure is going to vary from environment to environment. Basic procedure is going to be to ensure that the VMs have been successfully re-sync’d to the original site and assuming reverse protection was set up ahead of time you will then execute a failover back to the original site.

Any Zertonians who wish to correct me, do feel free.

Thanks,
    Sekora

Hi Everyone, I'm the new(ish) chief evangelist for Zerto. I'll be the first to admit that I have an addiction to startups with cool technology and I love my current day job :-). Seriously, if there was an AA equivalent for startups, I'd be finding myself at those meetings rather quickly! My background is all technical in nature. In past lives I've been a senior VMware instructor, VMware design consultant, cloud architect, NetApp engineer, etc, etc. Most recently I came from SimpliVity where I was a director in the Office of the CTO. I've got a slew of fancy letters behind my name from various certs (really good test taker here). If there is anything I can do to enhance or otherwise help make your Zerto journey as amazing as possible please don't hesitate to ask! As much as I am an evangelist from Zerto to the world and amazing customers, I am also an evangelist for those same people back to the internal folks we have here at Zerto. Anything I can do to help please let me know. Enjoy the Journey My Friends. :-) --Sekora "Know the rules well, so that you may break them effectively." Dalai Llama XIV
You must be logged in to create new topics. Click here to login