• This topic has 2 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated March 30, 2017 by Scott H.

ESXi Patching and protecting VM's

• Hello! I’m going through my first ESXi patching round since deploying Zerto and I’m hoping there’s a better way to do it. Because of our SLA’s I can’t not protect VM’s while I’m patching hosts at DR or Production. I’m patching DR hosts currently and my process has been to change the recovery VRA via the zerto console, shut down the vra on the host i want to patch, put the host in maint mode, pacth, reboot, power up the VRA. Is there a better way? please tell me there is…

Hey Allen,

I noticed nobody had responded to your post. Are your RPO Alert SLAs lower than 5 minutes? For the majority of customers there is no need to perform any change target host functions as you can update and reboot an ESXI host before they would be breached. If the RPO Alert SLAs prevent you from rebooting a host then you can script automating the change target host. Is this something your interested in? Thanks,

Joshua

Allen,

I’m in the same boat. Except I can’t even get VUM to put the host in maintenance mode if the ZRA is running. I used to just tell the cluster to update and go to bed, wake up the next morning to a freshly updated cluster.

I noticed that when I took a host down replication stopped. I was hoping Zerto would see the target host go into maintenance mode and automatically update the VPG, but doesn’t look that way. This is exceptionally bad if we have a host failure in our DR facility over night and no one sees it until they check e-mail in the morning.

You must be logged in to create new topics. Click here to login