• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated June 8, 2020 by Guy A.

Disk(or vmdk) detached on protected VM

• Hi

I detached a vmdk file on protected VM while doing Live failover and found that the vmdk file dropped together in the target VM and deleted itself.

So I attached vmdk file again on protected VM manually and some process were progressed on ZVM so I thought it would be attached to the target VM again but it didn’t

There’s a vmdk file not in target VM’s folder but in VRA folder.

When I searched that vmdk file through third-party tool, the partition in the vmdk file was already damaged and not recoverable.

How is this happening and why I cannot handle that vmdk file?

Hello,

Contara from Zerto Support.

I detached a vmdk file on protected VM while doing Live failover and found that the vmdk file dropped together in the target VM and deleted itself

[Contara]  What was the status of the VPG after detached the VMDK? Example: The VPG is showing “Error” or “Need Configuration”.

So I attached vmdk file again on protected VM manually and some process was progressed on ZVM so I thought it would be attached to the target VM again but it didn’t

[Contara] After re-attached the VMDK what happens to the VPG status: The VPG is showing “Error” or “Need Configuration or Inializie Sync”

There’s a vmdk file not in target VM’s folder but in VRA folder.

When I searched that vmdk file through third-party tool, the partition in the vmdk file was already damaged and not recoverable.

How is this happening and why I cannot handle that vmdk file?

[Contara]  Base on this issue we do need to collect the log files in order to see what happens to the VMDK issue.

In regards to the log gathering, please follow the next steps:

1. Log to the recovery ZVM machine.
    2. Run Zerto Diagnostics
    3. Select the first option and click next
    4. Follow the steps and in every step select the parameters according to the following:
    Case number: ######
    Timeframe: Enough to cover the issue
    Alerts: relevant
    VPGs: relevant
    Sites: relevant
    VRAs: relevant
    vCD: no
    Hypervisor: no
    Hosts: no

Please open a new ticket of this issue and provide the above information.

=====================

My recommendation for the future:

1. Stop the FailOver Live
    2. Export VPG List
    3. Delete the VPG keep the recovery disk.
    4. Detach the disk
    5. Create a VPG by doing “Preseeding Disk”

https://www.zerto.com/myzerto/knowledge-base/how-to-use-zerto-preseeding/

Thank you.

Hi contara

First, When the vmdk file was detached, the VPG status was fine, not showing Error or Needs configuration.

Second, After re-attach the vmdk file on source VM, some progress was shown(I didn’t see that exactly because it was too fast) while doing Live failover and as I said, There was a vmdk file in the VRA folder that should be in the folder of the target VM.

Also, E(or D) drive that needs to be attached not only to the source vm but also to the target VM but it didn’t (only source VM)

Last, I cannot collect the logs because we closed this case after your support team  said can’t help us because you are not component in matters of VMware

That’s why I upload this topic to know how to handle the vmdk of this case

Hello,

Based on the details you have brought up, I recommend you open a new support ticket and provide the log bundle Contara asked for.

Best regards,

Guy

You must be logged in to create new topics. Click here to login