• This topic has 11 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated October 15, 2021 by Jeffery R.

Beware if making your journal too small

• Zerto is great but recently when we needed it most it failed us.

Zerto replicates in real time and within xx seconds the remote site has an up to date replica so in the event of a failover, it can bring up the server.

But, there is a major flaw.

We have a server that we only need  up to date as of the last checkpoint. The server data is fairly static and holds all our companies passwords. A new password might get added once a week.

So I set the journal to 1 hour to save on disk space.

We had an issue and the replication stopped for all VPG’s.

After an hour or so we decided we needed to bring up the Server to access the passwords.

Nope, can’t do it. As we had gone over 1 hour journal limit before bringing it up Zerto would not allow us to bring up the server.

Why? The server is up to date as of the last checkpoint, irrelevant when that was. Just bring it online, surely that is simple?

Nope, apparently you just cannot do it. The Zerto engineer I called said we had to go through a long process to copy (remove locks) the data which was 450gb to a new location on our datastore and then create a new server and attach the disks. That would have taken hours.

Just allow us to power on to the last checkpoint, please !!

Thanks

Very timely post!

Our standard for several years has been to reduce the Journal History from the default value of 1 day down to 4 hours, but there isn’t any way we would be able to restore all our critical infrastructure and then critical applications in that timeframe.

This possibility occurred to me earlier this week due to some other BC/DR evaluations we are working on, and I have been working to test it with our system.  We haven’t experienced it in a real life event yet, but I’m sure we will be changing our settings now that you have confirmed my suspicion!

Just curious – did you submit the option to fail over with the last checkpoint as an enhancement request?  I’m sure we aren’t the only ones in this situation, and I’m also sure it would take a lot longer to restore from a large outage than most people think it will.  😉  Having the option to restore the last checkpoint would be a great fallback!  If so, let me know and I’ll give it an up-vote!  If not, I would recommend doing that.  You would have more leverage behind it than I would since you had a real world issue and opened a ticket.

Thanks for taking the time to post…Jeff

The engineer on the call said he would submit the request for me. Not sure if he ever did.

If he did you should have received an email with a link to the enhancement request.  If you didn’t get that notification, he probably either didn’t submit the enhancement request or didn’t link it to your ticket.  You can reach out to your Zerto rep and ask them to check on it for you.

I have submitted the request now

Thank you!  Do you have a reference number or something I can use to go up-vote it?

You must be logged in to create new topics. Click here to login