• This topic has 4 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated January 15, 2020 by Veli J.

Bandwidth Throttling

• We have configured replication from Sita A to Site B.
    We have no limitation for Bandwidth configured in Site A.
    Site B has a Bandwidth Throttling limitation of 25MB/sec

What’s your best suggestion on this?

Hi Narendra,
    This setting is defined to control the amount of traffic going out of your site.
    When defined, this is the maximum bandwidth that Zerto uses from this site to all peer recovery sites.
    If you do not specify bandwidth throttling, the default is for Zerto to automatically assign the bandwidth used per VPG, based on using the maximum available and then prioritizing the usage according to the priority set for the VPGs sending data over the WAN.
    – My suggestion would be not to limit the Bandwidth Throttling to allow Zerto to use as much bandwidth as needed for replication, but it is not recommended for networks with low bandwidth – so the decision is up to you and your network team.
    For more information, kindly follow page 311 in Zerto Administrator guide:

Hey Brian,

We have configured restrict Bandwidth on A(Target site) to 25 MBPS and B (Source Site) to Unlimited.  Please share details

Thanks,

Narendra Tadvi

Hello Narendra,

The answer remains the same.

Bandwidth throttling limits the maximum bandwidth that Zerto uses from this site OUT. It’s ok for the setting to be different for different sites.

My suggestion remains the same: It would be not to limit the Bandwidth Throttling to allow Zerto to use as much bandwidth as needed for replication, but it is not recommended for networks with low bandwidth – so the decision is up to you and your network team.

If the comment did not answer your question, kindly elaborate on the question.

So is Narendra now using 25 Mb/s or 25 MB/s of his network connection? 25 MB/s is 209715200 bits/s

I am very confused about the Zerto throttling. Why is it given in megabytes? We are talking about data transfer across networks when we talk about bandwidth throttling right?

Les say I have a 100 megabit/s connection between sites and I want zerto to only use 75% of that. So if the bandwidth would be given out in megabits I would throttle Zerto to 75Mb/s and go on with my merry way. Now it is given in MB/s and that means 12,5MB/s through that 100Mb/s connection in theoretical conditions and will most likely be close to 10MB/s. So do I now set Zerto throttling to 7,5MB/s so my 100Mb/s connection is not totally blocked by Zerto?

How many admins realize to set throttling to  7,5MB/s when they have a 100Mb/s connection?

You must be logged in to create new topics. Click here to login