A-to-Zerto Glossary of Terms
Data migration involves moving data from one location, one format, or one application to another. The process of migrating data involves selecting and preparing data before transferring it. The process also includes making sure that the migrated data is complete and that the old systems are correctly shut down.
What Is Data Migration ?
Data migration refers to the process of moving specific data and is a key consideration when upgrading or consolidating your systems. Usually this process involves changing the location of the data, although it might also include changing the data’s format or moving it to a new application. A common catalyst for data migration is an organization’s decision to supplement or replace older applications or data-storage systems, such as by moving to cloud-based storage.
What Are the Risks of Data Migration?
Migrating data to adapt to new IT strategies and other business needs is among an organization’s most difficult challenges. The migration process presents various risks:
- Data loss during the migration
- Compatibility issues arising from changed operating systems or unexpected file formats
- Confusion over user access rights between the source and target
- Poor execution, resulting in lengthy downtime
Older solutions for migrating data can be risky, costly, and time consuming. And they don’t have an effective rollback option, leaving little room for error in the process.
Solve for Data Migration
With the Zerto platform working behind the scenes, migrations are safer and faster than ever before. Zerto offers a simple, easily reversible four-click migration with many benefits:
- Simplicity. Zerto delivers disaster recovery, migration, and backup in one easy-to-use platform.
- Repeatability. The migration workflow is the same from one application to the next.
- Confidence. Your migration will go as planned with zero data loss and minimal downtime.
- Visibility. You can test migrations ahead of time to gauge success and discover risks before they happen.
- No data loss. Migrations with Zerto can be performed with zero data loss, achieving true application consistency.
- No disruption. Moving data doesn’t have to impact performance or availability. You can replicate data and have it waiting at its destination when you’re ready for it.