Who Needs Disaster Recovery? Study Shows 76% Experienced a Data Center Outage This Year
Zerto releases “5 Ways to Master Disaster Recovery” infographic, revealing survey data about disaster recovery practices
Zerto, rapidly becoming the disaster recovery standard in virtualized data centers for both enterprises and cloud service providers, today released an infographic titled “5 Ways to Master Disaster Recovery.” The infographic was created based on data the company collected from a survey of 356 IT professionals.
Key findings include:
Data center outages are frequent and companies find themselves ill prepared:
- At least 76% of respondents have experienced an outage in the past year.
- 42% of respondents experienced an outage in the last six months and 86% of those incidents were caused by something other than a natural disaster.
- 26-50% of the applications in data centers are considered business-critical and yet 7% of companies have no DR plan at all.
Legacy DR solutions are not providing desired levels of protection:
- 71.5% of respondents have a snapshot-based disaster recovery solution.
- 53% of those surveyed note “complexity” as one of the biggest challenges of disaster recovery.
- 30% of respondents have 75% or more of their environment protected with a DR plan,but 77% are not fully confident it will work
- 36% test their DR solution only once a year and another 18% have never tested their DR solution.
“Though more than three quarters of respondents reported having experienced an outage in the last 12 months, and many have a DR solution in place, few are confident their DR solution will actually work,” said Ziv Kedem, co-founder and CEO, Zerto. “This study reflects that while many solutions are available for disaster recovery, no legacy solutions are providing the service levels and simplicity needed for mission-critical application protection in virtualized and cloud environments.”
About the Survey
This survey was completed by collecting data from 356 IT Managers, VMWare Admins and Sys Admins, and BC/ DR professionals who work in more than 10 different industries, including finance, healthcare, legal, education, pharmaceuticals and manufacturing.