ZVM Upgrades – Pre-Upgrade Checks, How to Perform Upgrades and Common Issues
Viewed 153 times
An admin will want to confirm their environment is healthy to upgrade their Zerto environment.
To check if your environment is compatible with Zerto please use our Interoperability Matrix
Example for what to check:
Hypervisor (vCenter, SCVMM)
Host Version (ESXi, Hyper-V)
VMWare Hardware Version
**Confirm that the version you are upgrading to is compatible with your vCenter, ESXi, SCVMM, and Hyper-V builds. If it is not supported, upgrade those components first.**
Starting in Zerto 8.0, the follow is no longer supported.
- Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 with KB3033929 and KB2864202 (ZVM VM)
- vCenter Server 5.5
- ESXi 5.5
- vCloud Director 9.0
- Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 with KB3033929 and KB2864202 (ZVM VM)
- Windows 2012 R2 and Server Core (Hyper-V host)
Confirm that your ZVM OS is supported on the build you intend to upgrade to.
If it is not supported, Please upgrade your ZVM VM OS.
In Place Upgrade
In Place upgrade is supported, but admin should follow vendor's directions on upgrading the OS.
- There is a known issue performing an In Place OS upgrade on the ZVM VM in which the services will not start. Resolution can be found here: Article
- If an admin wishes to migrate the ZVM settings to another VM , please follow directions: Article
How to check if all sites in the environment are compatible with (N+1) the version of Zerto you are planning on upgrading to:
- Please confirm all sites are on the same version of Zerto
- How to Check All Sites are Within N+1: Video
- The order you upgrade the sites, protected or recovery, is not relevant as long as paired sites remain only one version apart, that is, only one version higher or lower.
- All sites should be at the same version before upgrading to another version.
- The following table shows what versions can be used on a peer site, based on the version on the current site.
|Version (N-1||Current Version (N)||Version (N+1)|
|5.5, 5.5ux||6.0, 6.0Ux||6.5, 6.5Ux|
|6.0, 6.0Ux||6.5, 6.5Ux||7.0, 7.0Ux|
|6.5, 6.5Ux||7.0, 7.0Ux||7.5, 7.5Ux|
|7.0, 7.0U||7.5, 7.5Ux||8.0, 8.0Ux|
|7.5, 7.5Ux||8.0, 8.0Ux||8.5,8.5Ux|
**Please note: a user cannot upgrade from v7.0 to v8.5 (this is considered an N+2)**
Please review our End of Service Life Matrix: Article
- As each new Zerto code version is released, older code versions begin to reach End of General Support and End of Support Life. The difference between the two is essentially End of General Support means best effort towards relief will be taken. However, new bugs will not be worked on unless critical. Otherwise, upgrading to another code version is required. End of Support Life means the code version is not supported any longer and an upgrade is required first before further troubleshooting can be started.
- How to Review The Product Version Lifecycle Matrix: Article
How to check if all VRAs at each site are at the same version of Zerto and are not outdated:
- How to Check VRA Versions: Video
- How to Upgrade an "Outdated" VRA: Article
- VRA export list report should be generated from the ZVM GUI at ALL Sites
How to check if you are using an external or embedded DB:
- How to Check if you have an External or an Internal DB: Article
- How to Backup your Database Before Upgrading Zerto: Article
If upgrading to Zerto 8.0, confirm port 9071 is opened
- How to Perform a ZVM to ZVM port check: Video
- Prior to upgrading to Zerto v8.0, if your site has any peer sites running v8.0, make sure this new port, 9071, is open for communication between the sites. In addition, make sure the current port used between the sites, 9081 by default, will remain open as well for the duration of the upgrade.
- For any peer sites running Zerto v8.0, following the upgrade the ZVM to ZVM communication connection will be made secure and encrypted, and will be carried out over the HTTPS port, 9071 by default.
You can use Zerto's Pre Upgrade Validation Checker:
- Please note, when performing Validation Checker, do not click "RUN" or you will perform the actual upgrade.
- How to Perform a Validation Check: Video
- If you should have any errors, please open a support ticket for further troubleshooting
How to Upgrade Zerto Software:
- How to Upgrade Zerto: Video
- Upgrading Your Zerto Environment Best Practices: Upgrade Best Practice
- Managed Service Provider (MSP): Please see "Upgrading Environments Which are Connected to Zerto Cloud Manager" section in the Upgrade Best Practice document.
** Zerto has created a Zerto Quick Bit video series to assist users in preparing to upgrade Zerto Virtual Replication (ZVR) to version 8.0.**
1. Connectivity IssuesZVM to ZVM communication changes in Zerto (ZVR) 8.0 from port 9081 to 9071. Should the sites become disconnected during the upgrade, follow article: After Upgrading ZVR To Version 8.0, Sites Become Disconnected
2. Insufficient user PermissionsIf the user which is configured in the ZVM does not have sufficient permission, or if the credentials are no longer valid, the following error will appear:
ZVM Upgrade Fails witherror -Register VCenter plug-in Failed to un register plug-in
In order to resolve the issue, simply navigate to the Zerto Diagnostic Utility and re-enter the credentials. For more information, review ZVM Upgrade Fails with error - Register VCenter plug-in Failed to un register plug-in.
3. Stale / Stuck task in vCenterAt times there could be stuck/stale tasks in vCenter which will fail the upgrade. For more information please review the following KB - ZVM upgrade in VMware fails with error configuration engine failed to apply.
4. Incompatible installer TypeAs Zerto supports multiple Hypervisor, there could be times when the newly downloaded installer is not the same as the one in use. For example, you are running Zerto 7.5 for VMware and you accidentally download Zerto 8.0 for Azure. For more information please review the following KB - ZVM upgrade fails with error - "You Are Trying To Upgrade To An Incompatible Product Type.
5. Undo Logs and Clean Up Tasks Are Preventing The UpgradeIf there are stale logs in the Zerto database that have not been cleared out, the upgrade will fail. For more information please review the following KB - ZVM Upgrade failed with error - You cannot upgrade until ZVM has finished all his clean up takes/ Upgrade canceledUndo logs show pending tasks.
Please review the following KB for more details - ZVM upgrade Failed with error - Not All VRAs are compatible.
You can upgrade from version N to the following version (N+1) of Zerto Virtual Replication (including any update within the current version). One cannot do an N+2 upgrade directly. For example, the upgrade is supported for Zerto version 7.5Ux to 8.0Ux.
Using the above example, if you have two sites - Site A is running 7.5 and Site b is running 8.0, if you try to upgrade site B first, the upgrade will fail with the error:
You are trying to upgrade from version X to version Y but the following peer sites are running with a version that is not compatible with the new version
This is because the sites can't be more than one major version apart. This also applies to MSPs and all of their paired sites.
For more information about this, review the following KB - ZVM Upgrade Best Practices.
This also applies for both the local and paired VRAs as they can't run more than one major version apart and the upgrade will fail with error Not All VRAs are compatible.