As of 2.0 Update 1 (Viper), Zerto Virtual Replication requires the following VMware software:
- ESX/ESXi 4.0U1 or greater
- vCenter Server 4.0 or greater
Under ESX/ESXi 4.0, Virtual Hardware Version 4 is supported.
Under ESX/ESXi 4.1, Virtual Hardware Versions 4 and 7 are supported.
Under ESXi 5.0, Virtual Hardware Versions 4, 7 and 8 are supported.
Under ESXi 5.1, Virtual Hardware Versions 4, 7, 8 and 9 are supported.
Under ESXi 5.5, Virtual Hardware Versions 4, 7, 8, 9, and 10 are supported.
For explanatory purposes, the following points apply to a VM created as Virtual Hardware Version 8 on an ESXi 5.0 host:
- If the VM was failed over to a site with an ESXi 5.1 host, there would be no issue - the ESXi 5.1 host supports Virtual Hardware Version 8, as well as 4, 7, and 9.
- If the VM was failed over and reverse protection was enabled, this would also work as expected - the ESXi 5.0 host could still act as the target for replication as the VM is of Virtual Hardware Version 8.
- If after failover to the ESXi 5.1 host, the VM was upgraded to Virtual Hardware Version 9, ZVR would not be able to maintain replication back to the ESXi 5.0 host. This is because the ESXi 5.0 host can only support Virtual Hardware Versions 4, 7 and 8.