When experiencing packet loss across ZVM connectivity link, the following issues might occur:
- Unable to pair sites.
- Site-to-site disconnection between a ZVM pair.
- Prolonged or unexpected Zerto sync operations (relevant for Self -replicating setup only?).
The following is a list of common packet loss causes:
- Link Congestion (an event where a network device has to discard old queue information before it is able to process it).
- Different network components and consumers (such as Zerto's VRAs) are using different MTU values on the same network.
Possible solutions include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Verify that all Zerto components (VRA, ZVM etc) are configured with the correct MTU value using the following KB - http://www.zerto.com/myzerto/knowledge-base/packet-fragmentation-caused-by-mtu/
- Increase the bandwidth of the congested link(s)
- Implement Quality of Service (QoS) and set high priority to ZVM-related traffic
- Verify that all network equipment can handle your maximum throughput, or potentially cluster additional hardware to increase throughput