The current log is called logfile.csv and resides in the <Zerto_Install_Dir>\Zerto Virtual Replication\logs folder, where Zerto_Install_Dir is the folder specified during the installation.
When the log reaches 10MB, its name is changed to log.nnnn.csv, where nnnn is a number increased by one each time the logfile.csv reaches 10MB. Up to 100 log files are kept.
You can send these logs to Zerto support using the Zerto Diagnostics utility, as described in the Zerto Virtual Manager Administration Guide.
If you need to save logs for an extended period, you can use the Zerto Log Archiver to create an archive of the logs for a specified period.
As well as being able to save logs for an extended period, these logs are not overwritten when the normal log mechanism reaches its size limit of 1GB, being 100 logs, each 10MB in size.
To configure the Zerto Log Archiver:
1. Copy the following text (XML) to an editor.
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <LogArchiveConfiguration xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"> <ArchivePath>D:\ZertoLogs</ArchivePath> <ArchiveSpanInDays>7</ArchiveSpanInDays> </LogArchiveConfiguration>
2. Edit the ArchivePath and ArchiveSpanInDays values, where:
ArchivePath – The path on the Zerto Virtual Manager machine where the log archives are saved.
ArchiveSpanInDays – The number of days the log archives are saved.
3. Save the XML with the name log_archive_config.xmlto the folder where Zerto Virtual Replication is installed.
NOTE: The default location is C:\Program Files\Zerto\Zerto Virtual Replication.
4. Restart the Zerto Virtual Manager Windows service to enable the log archiving.
5. Repeat this procedure for every Zerto Virtual Manager in the environment for which you want to archive the logs.
How the Log Archiver Works
Every six hours the Zerto Virtual Manager checks for the existence of thelog_archive_config.xml file. If the file exists, the Zerto Virtual Manager does the following:
- Copies all the Zerto Virtual Manager and VRA logs from the last six hours to the folder defined in the ArchivePath parameter.
- Checks the dates of all the logs in the log archive folder and deletes those logs that are older than the value specified in the ArchiveSpanInDays parameter.
If you are looking to extend the retention size of the ZVM log files, kindly review the KB on how to do so here.