How to Update ZVM to Support Zerto-Approved Host Releases Prior to a Full ZVR Update
Viewed 1302 times
Zerto implemented a means for customers to update the list of Zerto-certified vSphere\Hyper-V host builds supported for Zerto Virtual Manager (ZVM) installations.
This way, customers do not have to wait for the next official ZVR release for the new vSphere ESXi\Hyper-V Host version to be supported. Assuming the necessary connectivity is available between the customer ZVM and vCenter\SCVMM, this list will be updated automatically at midnight ZVM-time, following Zerto's certification of a new ESXi\Hyper-V host version.
In the event that the necessary connectivity does not exist, the list of Zerto-certified ESXi\Hyper-V Host versions supported for customer ZVM installations can be updated manually. This article explains the necessary process.
This procedure SHOULD NOT be used to add support for an ESXi version that has not yet been tested and certified by Zerto. For the most up-to-date reference of supported versions please refer to our Interoperability Matrix: Interoperability Matrix for All Zerto Software Versions (latest)
If your ESXi version is not yet on the Interoperability Matrix, please see the following article: How to Determine when to Upgrade the ESXi Version of a Host in a Zerto Environment
In order to update the list of Zerto-certified ESXi versions, follow these steps:
Confirm with our Interoperability Matrix to ensure that the ESXi\Hyper-V Host version you want to use is certified and supported by Zerto.
Navigate to the Zerto Virtual Replication directory on the ZVM, based on the version of Zerto you are using:
The default directory is "C:\Program Files\Zerto\Zerto Virtual Replication"
Locate the 'supported_updates.txt' file, and copy it to the desktop for a backup.
Edit the 'supported_updates.txt' file in the Zerto Virtual Replication directory, and add the necessary string, on a new line in sequence with the other strings, with the following syntax:
ESX_<VersionNumberWithoutPeriod> <Update Number>
- Save the file.
- Access the Zerto GUI for the relevant site (If the Zerto GUI was already opened, please refresh the page).
- Click the Site Configuration “menu” button > "Advanced Settings" > "Compatibility Matrix".
- Verify that the new Zerto-certified ESXi version is listed.
- If the file already contains an ESX version string listed with the same version number, but a different update number, replace it with the new update. For example, if the version to be added is vSphere 5.5 Update 1, and ESX_55 0 is listed, replace it with ESX_55 1.
- Do not add any extra white spaces for the new entry in the 'supported_updates.txt' file, as this file is very sensitive to white spaces.
- If a VRA has already been installed on a host with the new ESXi version, after the automated or manual change to the list of Zerto-certified ESXi versions, the VRA that previously showed a status of "Unsupported Version" will automatically enter a supported state.
If any issues are encountered, please contact Zerto Support.