An administrator may want to or need to remove one or more VMs from a VPG, while preserving its associated recovery volumes. These can then be used if the removed VMs are reprotected, either in the same VPG or another VPG.
This is built into the GUi when removing a VM from a VPG.
Through 2.0 Update 1 (Viper)
To remove a VPG while preserving recovery volumes, follow these steps:
- Navigate to the VPG Summary screen.
- Choose "Edit".
- Select the VM from the table of VMs.
- Choose "Remove".
- Click ?OK? on the Warning screen.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 for each VM you wish to remove from the VPG
- Click "Save".
- At the following ?Warning? screen, click ?Yes? to preserve the VM?s target disks.
Once the VPG has been removed, without removing the disks at the peer site, you can locate the replica volumes - refer to the Recovery Volume Directory Structure solution for details.