Remote Log Collection
Viewed 2415 times
Zerto Remote Log Collection (RLC) is a feature that is available in Zerto Virtual Manager (ZVM) version 5.0 and later. RLC provides the Zerto Technical Support Team the ability to gather logs from a ZVM directly without the need to gather logs manually.
Log Collection: Prior to Version 5.0
Pre-version 5.0, the following steps would have to be taken to
gather a new log bundle from the ZVM:
- A user opens a support case.
- Technical Support would engage to perform initial troubleshooting.
- Issue is determined to be beyond the scope of “live troubleshooting” and requires log collection for analysis.
- Technical Support manually runs through the log collection utility located within the ZVM via a customer-hosted WebEx.
- If log collection is not initially successful (e.g. network timeout, log bundle too large) a Technical Support Engineer will re-engage the customer to have logs manually uploaded via FTP or Sharepoint to Zerto.
- Logs are then analyzed by Zerto Technical Support.
- (Optional) Repeat steps 4-6 if another set of logs are required per the Tech Support Engineer or Development Engineers.
Log Collection: After 5.0
A user can enable RLC by performing the following:
- Navigate to “Settings” in the ZVM GUI.
- Selects “Remote Support.”
- Selects to “Enable Remote Log Collection” which is selectable for either 30 days or by case number (which will disable RLC upon case closure).
- Zerto Technical support can proceed to collect logs remotely.
SecurityOutbound Connection: All I/O traffic is “requested” by Zerto and the ZVM pushes the logs to Zerto log server(s). There are no inbound connections via this feature. Connection automatically terminates based on your previous selection: Several options are given when enabling RLC as noted below:
- Approval for 30 days.
- Per case. If open on a per-case basis, once the case has been closed by a Zerto Support Engineer, the connection will then be closed and would need to be re-enabled, if needed, in the future.
- Limited Access: Remote Log Collection only allows the Support Engineer to gather logs and nothing else.
- Transfer using HTTPS: Logs are transferred from the ZVM to a repository owned by Zerto.
- Internally (to localhost) - 80, 9000
- Externally (to Zerto servers) - 443