• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated November 28, 2016 by Harry S.

Moving journal data

• Hello

I’m running Zerto with vCloud Director and have customers replicating in from their onsite vSphere clusters in a DRaaS setup.

We have our Zerto Journal data on a dedicated datastore.  I need to move this to a new storage array so needs to be moved to a new datastore.  I can make the new journal datastore “live” by enabling it for Journal in the Provider VDC settings and disabling the current one.

What about moving existing data.  Do I have to get all my customers to recreate their VPGs so they put their journal data on the new datastore?

thanks

Dave

Engineer at vCloud Service Provider

I have done it a couple of ways. Present the new journal space while the current volume is stall there.

1) manual way – edit vpg point vm’s to new journal and save. Zerto will move the disk via vCenter move.

2) script way – create a powershell script to move the disk from old volume to new volume. This would be a via vCenter as well.

3) volume move at the array level.

In my environment, the target site is vCloud Director and the customer’s cannot choose a specific datastore when configuring the replication jobs.

Is there anyway on the backend I can ensure that new jobs used a specific journal datastore, as I want to retire the existing journal database?

In this case, the jobs that are using the existing journal datastore are about to be retired but, if I needed to, is there any way to change the journal datastore used by a job?

Dave

Engineer at vCloud Service Provider

Hi Dave,

I have a couple of thoughts on this but I’m asking around internally to see if I can get some examples for you. I’ll update you as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Harry

Follow me: www.twitter.com/HarrySiii

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your patience. I was just verifying a couple of things based on what you’re trying to do. If I am reading this correctly, what you’re trying to accomplish shouldn’t be too complicated.

You can absolutely specify which datastores new VPGs will use for Journals as the VPGs are created. Check the online documentation here, which references how to configure the ZVM settings > Cloud Settings > Datastore Configuration > “Configure” Provider vDC Settings. In this configuration screen, you can select which datastores you wish to use for Journals. The newly created VPGs will only use the datastores specified here, if you’ve specified some in here (I know that seems obvious). Make sure you configure these settings for each ZVM in the environment.

For your pre-existing VPGs, yes you’ll want to move them by editing each VPG either through the GUI or through automation.

I hope this helps!

Harry

Follow me: www.twitter.com/HarrySiii
You must be logged in to create new topics. Click here to login