• This topic has 7 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated November 29, 2017 by Ryan S.

Zerto Installation FAQ

• NOTE: for any break/fix issues or bugs please open a case with Support through the ZVM GUI, or through your Support portal here on MyZerto

Welcome the Implementation Services Zerto FAQ.

Please note we have pulled our 4.0 FAQ from this thread as we finalize updates to our 5.x FAQ. Once the 5.x FAQ is complete, this page will update with the complete FAQ.

Until the FAQ is updates, if you have questions regarding installation that are not covered by our documentation, please feel free to ask below.

Thank you!
    -Zerto Team

Hello – Sorry but I am not seeing the attachment. In any event, the documentation that I can find regarding use of an external DB calls for SQL Enterprise. Is there any reason that Standard could not be used? We have a shared SQL server that would be perfect for this case.

Andy K,

Per the document Sizing Considerations for Zerto Virtual Replication which can be found at our Technical Documentation page:

” Zerto supports SQL Server Enterprise, SQL Server Standard, and SQL Server Express editions.”

While it’s not explicitly stated there I wouldn’t recommend installing the Zerto DB against a shared SQL server unless you don’t intend to be able to protect and recover that server in the event of a disaster. Put another way, “Zerto can’t recover itself”.

One architecture possibility however is placing the Zerto DB alongside the vCenter DB as Zerto cannot be used to recover the vCenter it is attached to anyway, and if that site is down you could just recover your protected VMs from your target site which has its own vCenter and its own Zerto server.

As above I am getting this issue as well on a clean install with the latest Zerto version.

Account has been given the logon as a service permission.

FYI for those getting this error. the installer requires the username in the format domain\username

using username@domain will cause this issue.

What is the best practice regarding storage location of VRAs? Can they be installed on a single datastore? Or should they be spread out to several datastores/LUNs?

Best practice is if there is storage available one each local host to place the VRA there so that VRA won’t grow in size.

We disable DRS on that specific VM (NOT all the VMs on the host, just for the specific VRA VM).   That way the VRA only works on the host upon which you install it.  That gives you more resiliency throughout the environment.

If your host goes down you have another VRA running on a separate host.  HA will failover the VMs to another host with another VRA.

Also, if DRS moves a VM, the secondary VRA picks up the VM.

You must be logged in to create new topics. Click here to login