• This topic has 8 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated July 27, 2017 by Matthew C.

Multi-Site plus DR Site Support

• I have the requirement to Support a Three Node DR plan where I have Virtual Machines running in DC1 and DC2 and the third site as a shared DR Site. Does Zerto support Multi-Site +DR replication ?

Example

DC1 – Production VMs plus extra capacity in Compute to run DC2 workloads as a backup site

DC2 – Development VMs plus extra capacity in Compute to run Production and Dev VMs.

DR1 – Disaster Recovery Site with Compute capacity to run minimum production capabiliy

I need to do Cross replication between DC1 and DC2 to protect the production VMs as well as DC2 to DC1 replication to protect the Development VMS. AT the same time I need to do asynchronous replication of both sites to the DR site as a Disaster Recovery site in the event of a catasterophic geographical failure of both DC1 and DC2. Can Zerto support this type of architecture ?

it’s very similar to my feature request

http://www.zerto.com/myzerto/forums/topic/feature-request-post/

If you are asking if a single VM can be replicated to two sites at once, that is not an available feature yet.

If you are wanting to chain from A>B>C with the same VM, that is not a feature yet either. If you want DR and then a copy of the protected VMs at a third site for archival or longer term protection, you could use Zerto’s offsite backup feature.

Senior Technical Architect at Zerto

thanks Shannon the two firsts scenarios you mention is the ones I need, I know the backup feature and works pretty well

thanks

I have a scenario where I need to migrate servers from Site 1 into Site 2 (both vCloud) which will work fine.  Once that’s done, I’ll remove the VPGs involved and everything will run in Site 2 – no problem with that.

However… I need to get replication working from Site 2 to Site 3 very shortly after the migration is completed.  There’s around 30Tb of data, so could take a while over the network.  If, during the Site1->Site2 replication, I was also sending offsite backups to Site3, could those be used to preseed the Site2->Site3 replication?

Dave

Engineer at vCloud Service Provider

Hi Zerto, I have similar/same requirement as Dave L – migration from Site 1 to Site 2, absolute minimal delay in protection to Site 3  – in addition, my case Site 3 is a Zerto Cloud site.

Is there any update to the comments from Shannon S – re: “if a single VM can be replicated to two sites at once” and/or re: “If you are wanting to chain from A>B>C with the same VM”.

Thanks a lot

You can do one-to-many replication. Meaning a VM in Site 1, can replicate to Site 2 and Site 3. You just use 2 VPG’s to accomplish it. I’m doing this today. You need to be licensed for this feature. It can be very useful if you want a 2nd copy of a VM, perhaps in a cloud environment, or if you’re moving datacenters, you can stage everything to the new DC, before losing any protection to the old. Hope that helps.

Thanks Matthew, I wish I had read the 5.0 manual closer.

I am reading now that, as you say, I can protect a “VM1” from Site1 to Site2 with a “VPG1”; and from Site1 to Site3 with a “VPG2”. And when I “Move” my VM1 to Site2, Zerto will remove VM1 from VPG2

Would you know if I will end up with vDisks remaining at Site3? I.E. that I can use to seed protection from Site2 to Site3 with a new “VPG3”?

I haven’t done it, so I can’t say for sure, but I would imagine that it would preserve the disks (or give you an option to keep or remove them) at site 3, so you could use them to pre-seed. A simple test with a small VM would give you the definitive answer.

You must be logged in to create new topics. Click here to login