• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated December 19, 2019 by Carlos C.

Static IPs Azure

• Posting here as well I am not sure where to post now I understand Zerto support itself is monitoring this

Forums  Support Q & A 

so posting here

hey guys

is it a known issue  that most of the time when setting a static IP in a VPG for Azure the IP the server gets in Azure is another IP and not the one I defined?

Today it happened to me using the latest 7.0 version available and I’ve seen the same issue in other 7.0 releases

any idea why this happens or is it expected? I have to manually set the IP to static again in Azure.

I see like for every 5 VMs I set the static IP 4 get another IP in the same range but another one and I have to interact with the VM and the VM have to reboot after IP is change so I am increasing my RTO.

thanks

+ Due to an Azure limitation, failing over Linux VMs with static IP is not supported. Are the VMs experiencing the issue Linux VMs?
    + Did you select the “Create new MAC address?” option?:
    Whether the Media Access Control address (MAC address) used on the protected site should be replicated on the recovery site. The default is to use the same MAC address on both sites.
    Note that if you check this option, to create a new MAC address, and the current IP address is not specified, the protected virtual machine static IP address might not be used for the recovered virtual machine.

More information on page 56 of Azure’s administrator guide:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/zertodownload_docs/7.0_Latest/Zerto%20Virtual%20Manager%20Azure%20Administration%20Guide.pdf

Let me know if this is relevant for your case.

I found what was the issue

Now Zerto uses VM Scale Set all the time 1 VM must be present but when doing FO for example it can increase the amount of VMs in that Scale Set up to 41 and that means using IP for  those VMs

I realized that seeing seeing the error message below so this means I have to be careful and plan now I need to have a Subnet for Zerto and a Subnet for the VMs I need to DR o migrate to Azure since the IPs can overlap

so screen (error) now I get why my VMs won’t get the IPs I wanted.  For this scenario I preferred starting IP from .100 and when I did that the Static IPs were assign at the first try when doing FO Test

12.18.2019-09.05.46

Carlos,

I think I good workaround for this would be to create a seperate subnet for Zerto failover VMs.  It can be in the same vNet as the ZCA if you want.  By default, the scale set VMs will use the same subnet as the ZCA VM.  Using a different subnet for static IPs will ensure no overlap.

-Neal Stearns

Zerto Tech Support

yeah that’s the way to go now since Zerto will take all available IPs, that happened to me in another migration but I did no pay much attention until now

You must be logged in to create new topics. Click here to login