• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated October 15, 2019 by Jens G.

Source vSphere – target ZVM interoperability

• when upgrading the production side to e.g. vSphere 6.7 we obviously need to upgrade Zerto to at least version 6.5U4 or 7.0U2P2.
    But: Are there dependencies on the DR side, besides of having it run either Zerto 6.0 (when prod. is at 6.5U4) or Zerto 6.5 (if prod. is updated to 7.0)?
    Like in “Do we need DR support the production vSphere version?”.

Hi There,

Brian from Zerto here.

As long as paired sites remain only one major version apart, you should have no issues. The order you upgrade the sites (protected or recovery) is not relevant.

You can upgrade from version N to the following version (N+1) of Zerto Virtual Replication (including any update within the current version). One cannot do an N+2 upgrade directly. For example, upgrade is supported for Zerto version 6.0Ux to 6.5Ux.

For more information, please refer to our ZVM upgrade best practices:

https://www.zerto.com/myzerto/knowledge-base/zvm-upgrade-best-practices/

Let me know if this was helpful.

Hello Brian,

Thanks for your answer.
    I know the dependencies in regards to Zerto versions, but I was aiming more for this:

“Is there a dependency in vSphere versions as well?” like do I need to stay within specific boundaries of Zerto/vSphere between production and DR?

Example: Can I run Production with vSphere 6.7U3 and Zerto 6.5U4 and have DR running vSphere 6.0 EP21 with Zerto 6.0.
    Or Production at Zerto 7.0U2P2 vSphere 6.7U3 and DR on Zerto 6.5 with vSphere 6.0?

Thanks
    Jens

Hi Jens,

The vSphere version is only relevant to the ZVM version installed in it as far as Zerto is concerned. Production vSphere to Zerto in production, vSphere in DR to Zerto in DR.

The vSphere version in DR has no importance to the vSphere in production – For Zerto.

Production with vSphere 6.7U3 and Zerto 6.5U4 and have DR running vSphere 6.0 EP21 with Zerto 6.0 – Zerto is one version apart, so it’s ok.

Production at Zerto 7.0U2P2 vSphere 6.7U3 and DR on Zerto 6.5 with vSphere 6.0 – Zerto is one version apart, so it’s ok.

Great, thanks! That was what I was hoping for.

Cheers!

You must be logged in to create new topics. Click here to login