• This topic has 4 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated April 22, 2019 by Shaun F.

protect SQL AlwaysOn group

• Hello,

Is it supported/recommended to protect a SQL Always On group with Zerto?  Looking into deploying Always On groups instead of failover cluster with active/passive replicas in the same datacenter.  For DR, assuming you did not want to or could not add another replica, would you protect the primary replica VM with Zerto?  Would it make sense for you to also protect the passive replica VM, in case the roles change/it fails over?

Thanks

Hey Jacob,

We most definitely support protecting a SQL Always On availability group with Zerto. Using a local Always-On cluster with Zerto protecting it to the DR site gives you the best of both worlds. The key reasons for using Zerto to protect the cluster rather than adding a 3rd cluster node are:

• No false positive failovers
    • Recovery orchestrated with all other VMs
    • No-impact failover testing with other VMs (only way to test an availability group is to failover)
    • No running VM in the DR reducing cost
    • View and report on RPO from single dashboard

Here are my recommendations:

• Recommended to protect both nodes to support planned migrations for disaster avoidance and recovery to previous points in time
    • Place both nodes in the same VPG
    • It is possible to protect only 1 node, but care must be taken to ensure 2nd node is never powered on during/after failover and the protected node should never be failed over to a previous point in time, unless the 2nd node is destroyed and re-created after
    • Availability groups are extremely reliant on AD/DNS services so make sure these are already running in the DR site
    • Consider protecting the remote AD/DNS server in a VPG replicating locally for the sole purpose of bringing it online in the FOT network from a recent point in time with ease

Any further questions let me know. Thanks,

Joshua

Joshua S

is this information documented in PDF or something to share to my customer I know who you are and why you post here but my customer would like to see in a PDF from the vendor

HI ,

Do you have any step by step documents or user guide on setting this up with Do’s and Dont’s

Hello,

Information on this can be found in our SQL best practices guide: http://s3.amazonaws.com/zertodownload_docs/Latest/SQLBestPractices.pdf.

Thank you,

You must be logged in to create new topics. Click here to login