• This topic has 11 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated June 17, 2019 by Shawn C.

Zerto Virtual Manager 7.0 service doesn't start

• I have just installed ZVM on fully patched Windows 2016 server and discovered that Zerto Virtual Manager service doesn’t star.

Event log:

Faulting application name: Zerto.Zvm.Service.exe, version: 7.0.0.866, time stamp: 0x5cadea27
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.14393.2848, time stamp: 0x5c7f626e
    Exception code: 0xe0434352
    Fault offset: 0x0000000000034078
    Faulting process id: 0x10c8
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d4f43d54506d7c
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Zerto\Zerto Virtual Replication\Zerto.Zvm.Service.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
    Report Id: b90a2fe6-83cc-4c36-aa5e-f6822130362e
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

Anyone has the same problem?

The problem occurs only when the service is running using AD account, it starts successfully when runs using local account credentials

I also have this same problem after installing the 7.0 upgrade to my 6.5 ZVM.  My service does not start using the Local System Account, however.

What is the issue?  Please help.

Hi Mark,

Can you please log a support ticket so we can investigate this in more detail? We will post a resolution here once we identity the issue.

Regards,

Bob

I resolved this issue by completely uninstalling and reinstalling zerto.  That was the only way I could get it to work.

does anybody have a fix for this?  My ZVM service will not start after upgrading

Problem resolved – be sure the account the service is running at is in local administrators group for the machine.

I had the same issue after upgrading Zerto in 1 site (other was fine after upgrade).

In my case the solution was to run Zerto Diagnostics -> Reconfigure Zerto Virtual Manager which basically was next,next,next. After installer has finished, my service was up and running and I could finally log in.

Hope this helps.

Regards

When I upgraded from 6.5 to 7.0 I had this problem.  Running the Zerto Diagnostic Tool and Reconfigure Zerto resolved the issue.  Today, I upgraded from 7.0 to 7.0u1 and have the problem again.  This time the Reconfigure Zerto did not resolve it.  I have opened a case with Zerto and hoping for the best.  We have a pretty big environment, and I HOPE I do not have to rebuild this.  I’ll update when I get more information.

I also get this error in the App Logs just before the error you posted.  We are using a 3rd party CA for our ZVM certificate, and not the original self signed one.

Application: Zerto.Zvm.Service.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: System.Security.Cryptography.CryptographicException
    at System.Security.Cryptography.CryptographicException.ThrowCryptographicException(Int32)
    at System.Security.Cryptography.X509Certificates.X509Utils._LoadCertFromFile(System.String, IntPtr, UInt32, Boolean, System.Security.Cryptography.X509Certificates.SafeCertContextHandle ByRef)
    at System.Security.Cryptography.X509Certificates.X509Certificate.LoadCertificateFromFile(System.String, System.Object, System.Security.Cryptography.X509Certificates.X509KeyStorageFlags)
    at System.Security.Cryptography.X509Certificates.X509Certificate2..ctor(System.String, System.String, System.Security.Cryptography.X509Certificates.X509KeyStorageFlags)
    at Zerto.Infra.Communication.Certificates.CertificateGenerator.CreateCertificateObject(System.String, System.String)
    at HypervisorManager.REST.HypervisorManagerRestService.BindSslPort(Int32)
    at HypervisorManager.REST.HypervisorManagerRestService.Init(Microsoft.Practices.Unity.UnityContainer)
    at Zerto.Zvm.Platform.Bootstrap.PlatformInitializer.StartHypervisorManager()
    at Zerto.Zvm.Platform.Bootstrap.PlatformInitializer.Start()
    at Zerto.Zvm.Initializer.ZvmInitializer.Start[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]]()
    at Zerto.Zvm.Initializer.ZvmInitializer.Start()
    at Zerto.Zvm.Initializer.ZvmStartupThread.ZvmStartupThreadFunc()
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
    at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Zerto Support got us back up and running.  It did end up being an issue with Zerto 7.0u1 and our 3rd party certificate (maybe also 7.0, but not sure how it worked for me before we installed 7.0u1).  The fix involves passwords that support may need to type for you pertaining to the certificate.  If you have this issue and you get the Application log error I posted earlier today about the X509 Certificate faulting the ZVM Service, then I would call Zerto Support and let them know you are down.

I also ran into this problem. The upgrade to 7.0U1 with the self-signed certificate went fine. When I changed the certificate to one signed by our CA, ZVM would not start anymore. With the help from support, I used the Zerto Diagnostics tool to change the certificate back to the self-signed one, allowing ZVM to start. They told me Development is working on a 7.0u1p1 to solve this issue. ETA is “this coming week”.

Same issue as Jason D.

Reverting to the default self-signed cert will fix the issue, but you need support to enter the password.

Don’t make the same mistake I did in trying your custom cert after 7.0U1 is running on the self signed cert.  It will fail again. Stay on the self signed cert or wait until the next release.

You must be logged in to create new topics. Click here to login