5 Data Protection Articles to Start your Week
This week’s ‘Top 5 articles in Data Protection’ post was compiled by Wes Schifone, Zerto’s Managing Director, Inside Sales.
If you’ve missed some of the recent articles on data protection and recovery — go ahead and check these out:
1. We’ve all seen statistics on what happens to businesses when they experience server downtime, occasionally rolling our eyes at some of the over-the-top data. However the folks at Venture Beat put together this awesome infographic on the high cost of server downtime citing useful statistics such as the most common causes (can you guess the top reason?), as well as presenting a few ways to avoid these interruptions in service (that’s a main part of many of our jobs).
2. Considering a private cloud for your organization? Have you given any thought to implementing a chargeback structure to allocate resources based on the different SLA’s you provide your business units? This article from David Marshall over at Infoworld describing How Virtualization Managers Can Implement Chargebacks provides a guide for IT leaders to get this right.
3. Think SIS’s Brad Brunner describes his firm’s process for find the right mix of solutions for their clients when it comes to Disaster Recovery in a cloud infrastructure. He even provides a really useful diagram to identify and measure value and costs based on things like RPO’s and RTO’s in his blog post titled “Disaster Recovery and High Availability — with a Cloud Infrastructure Provider”.
4. Considering a migration? Whether it’s to a new company-managed data center facility, into a hosted data center, into “the cloud”, or a hybrid of these, Varrow’s Advisory Services team describes why moving these assets is literally one of the riskiest activities an IT team can take. “In no other activity do you intentionally risk so much impact to so many IT assets and services, in a single act of bravado” writes Paul Penny. In this article ‘Data Center Migration — Planning is Essential‘ Penny, Varrow’s VP of Consulting Services, outlines the 5 phase methodology they apply for their clients in supporting data center migrations.
5. What’s the best option for your environment — public cloud or vsphere? Techtarget reviews the top factors for each, from security concerns to cost structures and impacts on the environment. Check out the option that best fits your organization by reading about the top four recommendations for finding right mix.
What are your must-read articles on data protection this week?