Benefits of Zerto for VMware VSAN
By Joshua Stenhouse, Zerto Senior Solutions Engineer
Last week at VMWorld Barcelona 2014 there was a lot of talk about VMware Virtual SAN (VSAN) 5.5and all its capabilities. As a direct result we received many questions about Zerto’s ability to provide full support for VMware VSAN. We wanted to address that question with a wholehearted, passionate YES, and let us show you!
The benefits of using Virtual SAN and Zerto for disaster recovery are:
- Hypervisor based storage agnostic replication from any SAN to Virtual SAN or from Virtual SAN to Virtual SAN.
- VM based protection with consistency groupings to maintain the write-order fidelity between VMs for consistent application recovery.
- Continuous data protection delivering an RPO of seconds with no snapshots.
- Journaling allowing recovery to previous points in time every few seconds up to 5 days in the past
- Failover testing with no impact in production or break in replication
- Automated failover including boot orders, IP address changes and custom scripts
- Automated failback configuration sending just the changes back to production
- Migrations with 0 data loss
A great use case for Virtual SAN is for remote satellite offices replicating using Zerto into a main data center or for replication to Virtual SAN in the recovery site to save on storage costs.
Don’t just take our word for it; Cisco validated both Zerto and Virtual SAN in the “Cisco DRaaS with Zerto Virtual Replication and VMware Virtual SAN book” below:
This paper forms part of the validated Virtualized Multiservice Data Center (VMDC) for Cloud Service Providers (CSPs) and covers both DraaS and in-cloud BC/DR (ICDR).
If you are interested in testing this yourself click here to request a trial.
Thanks for reading.